US officials said they believe Iran was behind last week’s attack by drones laden with explosives on a US military site in southern Syria where US forces are stationed.
The Associated Press, a news agency, quoted US officials, who said they requested anonymity, that the United States of America (USA) believes that Iran provided resources and encouraged the attack, but that the drones were not launched from Iran.
These officials say they are Iranian-made drones, and Iran appears to have facilitated their use.
The same US sources added that the attack was carried out by using 5 drones loaded with explosive devices and that they targeted the Al-Tanf base where the US forces are stationed as well as the sites where the Syrian opposition forces are present.
Earlier, Pentagon spokesman John Kirby declined to give details when asked about the incident during a press conference on Monday, describing it as a “complex, coordinated and premeditated attack.”
“The United States has witnessed similar attacks before by Iranian-backed Shiite militias,” he said but did not elaborate.
Kirby also declined to comment on whether US forces were warned ahead of time or whether the US intended to mount a military response.
On October 23, the Republican Senator, Marco Rubio, accused Iran of being “directly responsible” for the attack on the US “Al-Tanf” base, within the triangle of the Iraqi-Jordanian-Syrian border, last Wednesday.
On his Twitter account, Marco Rubio said: “Iran directly attacked American forces in Syria last Wednesday
He added, “Don’t cover up this just to keep hope for the nuclear deal with Iran.”