During a ceremony held during the 76th Cannes Film Festival in partnership with the IEFTA, the Arab Cinema Center (ACC) announced the winners of the seventh Critics Awards for Arab Films, which highlighted the top Arab films released in 2022.
This year, the international jury panel, which encompassed 193 film critics from 72 countries, evaluated the nominated films using the Festival Scope digital platform — a partner of the ACC.
And the winners are:
● Best Film: HANGING GARDENS | Director: Ahmed Yassin Aldaradji| Iraq
● Best Actor: Adam Bessa | HARKA| Tunisia
● Best Actress: Lubna Azabal | THE BLUE CAFTAN| Morocco
● Best Director: Youssef Chebbi | ASHKAL| Tunisia
● Best Screenplay: Maryam Touzani & Nabil Ayouch | THE BLUE CAFTAN | Morocco
● Best Cinematography: Virginie Surdej | THE BLUE CAFTAN | Poland
● Best Editing: Valentin Féron | ASHKAL
● Best Documentary: FORAGERS | Director: Jumana Manna | Palestine
● Best Music: Amine Bouhafa| UNDER THE FIG TREES| Tunisia
The first Critics Awards for Arab Films was held on the margins of the 70th Cannes Film Festival. The awards are given to the best Arab film productions every year in the following categories: Best Feature Film, Best Documentary Film, Best Director, Best Writer, Best Actress, and Best Actor, along with the recently added Best Editing, Best Cinematography, and Best Music categories.
The final list of the nominees for the Critics Awards for Arab Films was curated according to the following criteria: The films must have premiered at an international film festival outside of the Arab world in 2022, and at least one of the production companies must be Arab (regardless of the size of its contribution to the production of the film). Additionally, the films must be feature-length (fiction or documentary).