By: Wafaa Fayez
CAIRO, Apr. 9 (SEE)- The Ministry of Education is expanding its STEM schools as part of its interest in nurturing gifted students in the fields of science and mathematics, in view of the State’s need to increase the number of students enrolled in the scientific community.
STEM schools began in 2011 in the school of excellence in 6th of October City, Giza governorate for boys, followed by the school of excellence in Maadi in 2012.
The Ministry has established 11 schools in several governorates: Cairo, Giza, Alexandria, Dakahlia, Kafr El Sheikh, Assiut, Red Sea, Luxor, Menoufia, Ismailia and Gharbeya. It plans to establish a school for outstanding students in science and technology in each province.
“SEE” offers the most important information for this type of school:
- Started as an American grant to take care of outstanding students.
- Government high schools for a period of 3 years.
- Interested in sponsoring outstanding students in science and mathematics.
- There is no literary division.
- The study does not depend on the unified textbook.
- New approaches based on projects for which a large proportion of the total is allocated.
- The study does not rely on conservation, but research, thinking, and innovation.
- The teacher’s guidance role is not indoctrination.
- Its goal is to produce a student with the ability to design, creativity and critical thinking.
- Boarding schools.
- Equipped with a higher level factor.
- A model for integrating technology into the educational process.
The student must obtain the preparatory certificate for 98% and the final grade in one of the three subjects: “Science, Mathematics, English Language” or 95% and the final degree in two of the three subjects.
- The schools accept students who have a certificate of completion of the basic education stage “preparatory”, and a holder of a patent approved by the Academy of Scientific Research, even if their qualifications do not meet the conditions of the total and final grades in one or two articles
- Upon entering the school, the student will receive a “laptop” and pay the insurance amount.
- Finally awarded the Egyptian secondary certificate in science and technology.
- Graduates are granted scholarships abroad or at international universities in Egypt.
- The graduates have a special section to coordinate admission to government universities based on the flexible ratio.
- A large number of students from these schools have received international awards, including Yasmin Yahya Mustafa, who won first place in the Earth Science and Environment class at the Intel International Science and Engineering Fair in Pittsburgh, for the invention of the Power of Rice Straw, Evaporation of water on the heat of rice straw burning, generate different types of energy.