Egypt expressed its deepest condolences to the Multinational Force and Observers in Sinai over the helicopter crash that killed eight persons on Tiran island, according to an official statement issued by the Foreign Ministry on Thursday.
“Egypt, the government and the people, expresses its deepest condolences to the governments of the United States of America, France and the Czech Republic, the leadership of the multinational forces in Sinai, and the families of the victims who died in the helicopter’s crash of a multinational force helicopter today (Thursday),” the statement read.
The crash took place because of a technical failure over Tiran Island in the Red Sea.
“Egypt expresses sincere wishes for a speedy recovery for the injured in this painful accident,” the statement added.
The Multinational Force and Observers said a French peacekeeper and Czech member of the force were also killed. It did not release the names of the dead, pending notification of their families.
“A full investigation of the cause of the crash, which appears to be mechanical in nature, has been launched,” the force said, thanking Egypt and Israel for their cooperation. The MFO previously said eight people, including six Americans, had died, but it later revised its numbers down.