Mauritania has recorded two deaths and 53 confirmed cases linked to a diphtheria outbreak, according to the country’s health authorities.
In a statement issued on Thursday, the Mauritanian Ministry of Health said medical teams and health centers are closely monitoring the spread of the disease following the emergence of multiple cases in recent weeks across several regions of the country.
The ministry said the outbreak has been particularly concentrated in the northern regions of Inchiri and Tiris Zemmour.
Health officials confirmed that a total of 53 cases have been reported so far in the two regions. Of those, 43 patients have recovered, eight remain under medical observation, and two people have died.
Authorities have not disclosed further details regarding the victims or the measures being implemented to contain the outbreak, though health teams continue surveillance and response operations.
Diphtheria is a highly contagious bacterial infection that primarily affects the respiratory system and can become life-threatening if left untreated. Public health experts warn that vaccination coverage and rapid medical intervention remain critical to preventing wider transmission.




