By: Ahmed Yasser
CAIRO, Jan. 15 (SEE)- Sabil Abdel Rahman Katkhuda is one of the most important monuments in old Islamic Cairo, located on El-Muizz Street. This building is an example of Ottoman, Mamluk and lslamic architecture.
It was built in 1744 by a pioneer Egyptian architect, ”Katkhuda” who was one of the most intelligent architects of his time. Some architects describe it as the ”treasure of Ottoman architecture”.
Sabil Katkhuda is an important monument in Cairo. The architect ”Katkhuda”, produced it with every small detail.
It was named for its patron, El- Mamluk amir and leader of the Egyptian Janissaries. The two story square structure consists of the fountain within block of first level, which is surmounted by space for the school in the form of a two-tiered arcaded pavilion.
The building includes two main parts. The southern part is two stories high and contains El- sabil and ”kuttab” from which it derives its name. The northern part is not registered and is being used now as living apartments.
Place is open on three sides and consists of grey and white stones inlaid with marble reliefs as well as tiles with embedded pillars at its corners.
El- sabil alternating colors and polychrome marble revetment is characteristic of Abd al Rahman Katkhuda’s extensive architectural patronage in Cairo, which blended Mamluk and Ottoman architecture .