The Palestinian presidency on Friday expressed deep regret and astonishment over the U.S. State Department’s decision to deny entry visas for its delegation set to attend next month’s United Nations General Assembly in New York.
In a statement carried by the official Palestinian news agency WAFA, the presidency said the move contradicts international law and the UN Headquarters Agreement, stressing that the State of Palestine holds the status of a UN observer state.
The statement urged Washington to reconsider and reverse the decision, insisting that the Palestinian leadership remains committed to international law, UN resolutions, and its obligations toward peace. It recalled President Mahmoud Abbas’s letters to world leaders, including U.S. President Donald Trump, affirming that commitment.
Earlier on Friday, the U.S. announced it had revoked visas for officials from the Palestinian Authority ahead of the General Assembly session. In its statement, the State Department said:
“In accordance with U.S. law, Secretary of State Marco Rubio has denied and revoked visas for members of the Palestine Liberation Organization and the Palestinian Authority ahead of the upcoming UN General Assembly.
The Palestinian mission to the United Nations will continue to benefit from exceptions under the UN Headquarters Agreement. The United States remains open to re-engagement consistent with our laws, should the Palestinian Authority/PLO meet its obligations and take clear, concrete steps toward returning to a constructive path for peace and coexistence with the State of Israel.”