The Egyptian-Spanish archaeological mission operating in Zera’ Abu al-Naga in Luxor headed by Dr. José Galán, succeeded in revealing a wooden coffin from the Seventeenth Dynasty (circa 1600 BC).
Dr. Mostafa Waziri, Secretary-General of the Supreme Council of Antiquities, said that the nineteenth season of the mission’s work started in 2020 in front of the open courtyard of tomb No. TT 11 attributed to “Djehuti”, and the sarcophagus was found near a mud brick compartment, and beside it many funerary furniture.
The sarcophagus measures are 1.75 x 0.33 m.
It was made of wood from a single piece of sycamore tree and painted with a white grout, while the interior was painted in red.
Inside the coffin, a mummy of a 15/16-year-old woman was found lying on her right side, in poor condition of preservation. She wore two rings in one of her ears spirally and coated with a thin, possibly copper-foil sheet.
Mohamed Abdel Badie, head of the Central Department of Antiquities of Upper Egypt, noted that the mission found four necklaces linked to each other with a ceramic clip on the mummy chest.
The first necklace is 70 cm long, and it consists of circular beads decorated in dark blue and light.
The second necklace is 62 cm long and is made of faience green and glass beads.
The third necklace is the most beautiful and is 61 cm long. It is made of 74 pieces that combine amethyst, corneli, amber, blue glass, and quartz beads. It contains two scarabs, one of them in the form of the god Horus and five amulets of faience.
The fourth necklace is made of several chains of faience beads bound together by a ring that combines all threads.