United Nations Secretary-General António Guterres issued one of his starkest warnings yet on Thursday, declaring that the humanitarian crisis in Gaza has reached “unparalleled” levels and urging the international community to act immediately to prevent further catastrophe.
Speaking to reporters before briefing the Security Council on Haiti, Guterres said Israel’s expanded military operations in Gaza City marked “a new and dangerous phase” of the conflict, with devastating consequences for civilians.
“Hundreds of thousands of civilians — already exhausted and traumatized — would be forced to flee yet again, plunging families into even deeper peril. This must stop,” Guterres said.
He condemned recent Israeli strikes, including one earlier this week on Nasser Hospital in Khan Younis, which killed civilians, medical personnel, and journalists. “These attacks are part of an endless catalogue of horrors. There must be accountability,” he stressed.
The Secretary-General described Gaza as “piled with rubble, piled with bodies, and piled with examples of what may be serious violations of international law.” He reiterated that hostages held by Hamas and other groups must be released, while civilians must be protected.
Guterres painted a grim picture of the humanitarian situation, saying famine in Gaza is no longer a looming threat but “a present-day catastrophe.” He noted that people are already dying from hunger, pregnant women face “unimaginable risks,” and basic systems of survival — food, water, and healthcare — have been systematically dismantled.
“These are the facts on the ground,” he said. “And they are the result of deliberate decisions that defy basic humanity.”
As the occupying power, Guterres said, Israel has legal obligations under international law, including ensuring access to food, water, medicine, and humanitarian aid. He reminded that the International Court of Justice has issued binding provisional measures requiring Israel to facilitate unfettered humanitarian and medical assistance.
“The UN and our partners are doing all we can, often at great personal risk. Indeed, 366 UN personnel have tragically been killed. Day after day, our efforts are being blocked, delayed, and denied. This is unacceptable,” he said.
The Secretary-General also warned of worsening conditions in the West Bank, citing military operations, settler violence, home demolitions, and discriminatory policies. He denounced Israel’s recent approval of settlement expansion in the E1 area, calling it “an existential threat to the two-state solution.”
“There is no military solution to the conflict,” Guterres said, renewing his call for an immediate and permanent ceasefire, unimpeded humanitarian access, and the unconditional release of hostages.
“Starvation of the civilian population must never be used as a method of warfare,” he concluded. “Civilians must be protected. Humanitarian access must be unimpeded. No more excuses. No more obstacles. No more lies.”