Iran said on Tuesday that contradictory U.S. positions and what it described as excessive demands from United States were hindering diplomatic efforts, amid reports that Gulf mediation helped avert a potential U.S. military strike against Tehran.
Iran’s Foreign Ministry said Foreign Minister Abbas Araghchi made the remarks during a meeting with Pakistan’s interior minister, according to statements carried by regional media.
Araghchi said Washington’s inconsistent positions during negotiations, coupled with what Tehran views as excessive U.S. demands, remained a key obstacle to progress on the diplomatic track.
The comments came as regional media reported that U.S. President Donald Trump had been on the verge of authorizing military action against Iran before mediation efforts by Gulf states prompted a delay.
According to the reports, leaders from Saudi Arabia, United Arab Emirates and Qatar urged Trump to postpone any strike and allow ongoing negotiations more time to bridge gaps between Washington and Tehran.
The reports said Trump agreed to delay the operation, which had reportedly been scheduled for Tuesday, while instructing the U.S. military to remain on alert in the event diplomatic efforts collapse.
The mediation efforts are aimed at reaching an agreement acceptable to both sides while ensuring that Iran does not acquire nuclear weapons, according to the reports.
Lately, Washington and Tehran have been engaged in indirect talks in recent months amid heightened regional tensions and renewed disputes surrounding Iran’s nuclear programme.




