On Monday, the Egyptian Interior Ministry denied rumors circulated on social media platforms with regard to imposing a curfew to address the novel coronavirus outbreak.
The ministry’s media center official said that such such reports seek to create a state of confusion in the Egyptian society, confirming that all legal actions will be taken against the online pages that spread the false news.
The official said that the ministry’s only page on Facebook is www.facebook.com/moiegy.
It is worth mentioning that, Egypt has so far registered 327 coronavirus cases, including 14 deaths.
The ministry has stepped up precautionary measures in the affected governorates and intensified campaigns to spread awareness about infectious diseases.
It also raises its preparedness at all the country’s ports and airports to monitor the virus developments, receiving inquires from citizens about the virus through its hotline 105 or 15335.
Egypt President Abdel Fattah El Sisi has allocated L.E. 100 billion to fund the anti-Coronavirus strategy and its related precautionary measures.
Moreover, the country announced the suspension of schools, and universities for two weeks, and banned all large community events and gatherings until further notice to prevent the spread of coronavirus.
Egypt has taken a number of measures aimed to stop the outbreak of this deadly virus, including the suspension of daily prayers in mosques nationwide for two weeks, in addition to closing the state’s tourist sites until March 31.
Several Arab countries have tightened restrictions on movement and travel, with the aim of curbing the spread of the Coronavirus, and some have pledged billions of dollars in economic stimulus programs to reduce the economic repercussions of the crisis.