On Saturday, Egypt vehemently condemned the terrorist attack on a funeral marquee in Iraq’s Salahuddin governorate that took place on Friday.
A number of civilians and security personnel were killed and injured in the attack.
In a statement on Saturday, the Egyptian Foreign Ministry offered condolences to the Iraqi government and people over the victims of this vicious attack.
Egypt wished speedy recovery of those injured, the statement said, stressing Egypt’s full support to Iraq in taking any measures to maintain security.
Egypt is confident that Iraq would crush terrorism.
An Iraqi security official said eight people had been killed, among them police and civilians, and that armed militants had opened fire on the crowd.
The official, who spoke on condition of anonymity said the attack had been perpetrated by the Islamic State group. The death toll could not be immediately confirmed.
The military said it will provide details once the investigation is complete.
Northern Iraq has been a hotspot for IS activity since their territorial defeat in 2017 by Iraqi security forces with assistance from the U.S.-led coalition. Iraqi forces routinely carry out anti-IS operations in the rugged mountainous northern region and the deserts of western Iraq where they are known to be holed up.
IS attacks have abated in recent years but continue in these areas where security forces are often the target of ambushes, raids and IEDs.
At times, IS has managed to launch attacks in the capital. At least 30 people were killed last week in a suicide bombing in the Baghdad suburb of Sadr City. The attack was claimed by IS.