The death toll from deadly earthquakes in Turkiye has risen to 36,000, the country’s Disaster and Emergency Management Presidency (AFAD) said in a statement on Thursday.
"The number of people killed in the earthquakes that took place in the Kahramanmaras province on February 6 currently stands at 36,187. As many as 108,068 people suffered injuries. Over 4,300 aftershocks have been recorded in the region since the first quake," the statement said.
The agency pointed out that more than 216,000 people had been evacuated from the disaster zone.
On Wednesday, AFAD General Director for Earthquake Risk Reduction Orhan Tatar mentioned that the two most powerful earthquakes had lasted two minutes.
According to the agency’s experts, Tatar added that the ground moved 7.3 meters. A total of 30 quadrillion joules of energy was released.
The earthquake was felt by the residents of Lebanon, Jordan, Iraq, Cyprus, Armenia, Syria, and the residents of some Egyptian governorates, including Greater Cairo.