Director of the Bibliotheca Alexandrina (BA) Dr. Mostafa El Feki inaugurated the Princess Khadija Palace in Helwan District in Cairo.
Feki also opened a children’s library and Helwan handicraft exhibition.
The palace belongs to the Cultural Communication Sector of the BA. It was for Princess Khadija whose grandfather was Khedive Ismail.
Built in 1895, the palace was classically designed by the European Renaissance period.
The princess stayed in the 500-meter palace from its construction till 1902, then she gifted it to a chest disease hospital. She bought its land with a cost of 6,000 pounds of gold.
The 50-hall-palace also has two wings, one of which is an area of 300 meters and the other one is 200 meters.