Supervisor Elham AbolFateh
Editor in Chief Mohamed Wadie

2 Dead, 222 Injured in Massive Fire in Kenya

Fri 02 Feb 2024 | 11:26 AM
Israa Farhan

A massive fire resulting from a gas explosion late Thursday night in the Kenyan capital, Nairobi, has claimed the lives of at least two people and left 222 others injured, according to government spokesperson Isaac Mayga Muora.

The explosion was triggered by a gas truck, unleashing a massive fireball that rapidly spread, as reported by the French news agency, AFP.

The blaze caused extensive damage to numerous vehicles and commercial properties, including several small and medium-sized businesses.

Unfortunately, residential homes in the area also caught fire, with many residents still indoors due to the late hour of the incident.

Muora stated, "The fire has caused damage to several cars and commercial properties, including several small and medium-sized companies.

Unfortunately, residential homes in the neighborhood also caught fire, and many residents were still inside as it was late at night."

Two people tragically lost their lives while receiving treatment at a Nairobi hospital, and an additional 222 individuals sustained injuries in the fire, necessitating their urgent transfer to various hospitals.

Firefighters have been tirelessly working for nearly seven hours, striving to gain control over the blaze, as reported by a journalist from AFP. Dense columns of black smoke continue to billow from the site.

The fire broke out shortly before midnight in the Embakasi area, with images captured by the "Citizen" media outlet showing a massive fireball near several residences. 

AFP reported that numerous houses and vehicles have been engulfed in flames.

The French news agency also noted the extensive damage to both homes and vehicles caused by the fire.

Many area residents spent the night outdoors, while the police established a security cordon around the fire. 

Hundreds of people surveyed the damage, searching for personal belongings amid the wreckage.

The cause of the gas explosion and subsequent fire is under investigation, and authorities are working to ensure the safety and well-being of those affected by this tragic incident.