On Tuesday, the Sudanese Defense Minister, Lieutenant-General Ibrahim Yassin, announced that they had fully controlled the failed coup attempt, cofirming that all suspected instigators of the coup had been arrested and were being interrogated, according to the Sudan News Agency SUNA.
It added that an emergency meeting of the Security and Defense Council was held this evening, Tuesday, headed by Lieutenant-General Abdel Fattah Al-Burhan, head of the Sovereign Council, with the purpose of reviewing the security situation in the country.
Lieutenant-General Yassin Ibrahim Yassin said also that the preliminary investigations of the coup attempt indicated that the goal was to seize power and undermine the current regime for the transitional period.
“The leader of the coup was the commander of the Armored Corps based there, Major General Abdalbagi Alhassan Othman Bakrawi, who worked with 22 other officers,” defense minister Lieutenant General Yasin Ibrahim said in a statement.
On a visit to the camp shortly afterward Sudan’s top military leader, Abdel Fattah al-Burhan, condemned the coup attempt, saying it could have had “catastrophic consequences on the unity of the army, the military and the country.”
“We want to take this country and hand it over to the public will, to free and fair elections,” he told troops.