Brazilian miner Vale SA said on Monday 39 miners had been trapped in Sudbury, Canada since Sunday, affirming that rescue efforts are underway.
Vale asserted that all those workers would likely be rescued by Monday evening. “We have learned that no one is injured.”
“We have learned that no one is injured, which is our number one concern,” Vale spokesperson Jeffrey Lewis said in an email. “The miners have had and continue to have access to water, food and medicine.”
Moreover, the company said the conveyance for transporting employees was taken offline following an incident in the shaft on Sunday afternoon.
It confirmed that employees will exit the mine through a secondary egress ladder system with the support of Vale’s mine rescue team.
When the incident took place, the workers underground immediately went to refuge stations as part of what Vale called its “normal procedures.”
“We have been in frequent communication with them since the incident,” the company said in a statement. “We are doing everything we can to ensure the safety of these employees.”
Timmins—James Bay MP Charlie Angus said he’s praying for the safety of the mining workers.
— Charlie Angus NDP (@CharlieAngusNDP) September 27, 2021
“Let’s get everyone home,” he tweeted.