The death toll in some of the Chinese cities rose to at least 37 people killed and hundreds missing citizens and on Wednesday after three days of heavy rains triggered flash flooding that swamped the residential areas and regions in the middle of the country, according to domestic media.
Responding to this disaster, the authorities have suspended flights and trains in many parts of Henan.
The domestic authorities also urged the residents to stay away from floodwater and to not travel unless absolutely necessary.
In a statement released by Chinese officials, it said: “Nearly 500 people were eventually rescued from the tunnels in Henan province.”
“The rain has caused widespread damage and led to 200,000 evacuations,” the statement added.
Above ground, roads have been turned into rivers, with vehicles and debris swept along in fast-moving currents, according to recent reports.
Meanwhile, many cities in Henan province are impacted. Furthermore, authorities of Henan pleaded for citizens to stay at home as a major dam overflowed and a mini-tornado tore through its suburb.
According to an official statement by the Chines presidency, President Xi Jinping said on Wednesday that there had been “significant loss of life and damage to property”.
The media released a video on social media that shows evening commuters just managing to keep their heads above water.
In the viral video, the water can be seen rushing onto platforms.
Watch the video of Flash floods below: