On Friday, former Barcelona star Dani Alves' rape conviction was annulled by the court. Alves had been sentenced to four and a half years in prison in February last year for raping a young woman in the VIP bathroom of a Barcelona nightclub in December 2022.
The former Barcelona star was released from jail last March pending his appeal after he paid $ 1.1 million bail set by the court.
The appeals court said its four judges had "unanimously" accepted the player's appeal and "annulled" his conviction.
His trial contained "a series of gaps, inaccuracies, inconsistencies, and contradictions regarding the facts, the legal assessment, and its consequences," according to the court.
The woman who accused Alves of rape was an "unreliable complainant" since her testimony "differed notably" from evidence of video footage taken before she and Alves entered the bathroom where she alleges the player forced her to have sex without her consent.
As a result, the court said there was "insufficient evidence" to prove Alves was guilty.