On Sunday, the Egyptian Foreign Minister Sameh Shoukry held a telephone conversation with his Kuwaiti counterpart Ahmed Naser al-Mohamed al-Sabah to discuss some arrangements regarding the status of Egyptian and Kuwaiti expats in both states.
During the talks, the Kuwaiti top diplomat announced that his country will review the decision of suspending flights to Egypt during the coming period.
Shoukry and al-Sabah also agreed that the health ministers of both countries will communicate to determine what measures should be taken to return to regular travel between the two countries.
The phone call comes one day after the Kuwait’s Civil Aviation Authority (CAA) decided to suspend commercial flights to 31 countries, including Egypt, which it deemed high risk due to the spread of the coronavirus.
EgyptAir has decided to suspend all scheduled flights to Kuwait as of Saturday until further notice, urging all clients to check their scheduled flights to Kuwait.
Notably, Kuwait Health Ministry has announced on Sunday the registration of 463 new Coronavirus (COVID-19) cases.
This brings the total number of confirmed cases in the country to 67911.
Meanwhile, Egypt saw a downward trend in the daily coronavirus infections, reporting on Saturday 238 new coronavirus infections, upping the total cases to 94,316 since the beginning of the virus outbreak.
“Twenty-nine more deaths were confirmed; raising the total number to 4,834,” Khaled Megahed, the Health Ministry’s spokesman, said in a statement.
“Up to 41,137 coronavirus patients have recovered so far,” the spokesman said.
“As many as 1,499 Egyptians were among the recovered patients today,” he added.
Health Minister Hala Zayed stressed that nowadays, hospitals do not witness high turnout due to many factors, including the increasing awareness of the Egyptian people and plans of self-isolation.
The ministry has stepped up precautionary measures in the affected governorates and intensified campaigns to spread awareness about the virus.