Egyptians will cast their vote on amending some of articles of Egypt’s Constitution 2014 within a few days. The House of Representatives will vote on the final draft of Egypt ’s Constitutional Amendments 2019 on April 14 or 15.
After the parliament’s voting, the President of the Republic, Abdel Fattah El Sisi, has to call on citizens for a national referendum within 30 days on Egypt Constitutional Amendments 2019.
The written request submitted to the lower house was signed by more than one fifth of the lawmakers with the aim to fix some articles of the constitution.
These proposals have been made in response to practical and legal problems that require some articles of the existing constitution to be amended.
Egypt Constitutional Amendments 2019 generally aim to introduce needed reforms to Egypt’s system of government.
The following is a list of some constitutional amendments proposed:
- Identify a constitutional quota for women in the parliamentary councils.
- Permanent representation of workers and peasants in the parliament after being temporarily represented.
- Permanent representation of youth, Copts, Egyptians abroad and people with disabilities in the parliament after being temporarily represented.
- Appoint a vice president or more, if needed.
- Extend presidential terms from four to six years, with putting the needed transitional article.
- Unifying the mechanism of appointment of heads of judicial bodies, the Attorney General and the President of the Supreme Constitutional Court.
- Establishing a “High Council for Joint Judicial Affairs”
- Safeguarding the constitution and democracy and preserving the civil nature of the state.
- Making the appointment of the minister of defense only after securing the approval of the Higher Council of Armed Forces (SCAF).
- Providing legal protection for vital establishments and public utilities.
- Deleting phrase “equal representation of voters”, because of the controversy in the practical application and as a commitment of the ruling of the Constitutional Court issued in this regard
- A new upper house of parliament (senate) is to be created.